WELCOME TO SPOTTED DOG RANCH, WHERE ROLLING STONES KEEP ROLLING. THANKS FOR VISITING!

With the smoke and the fire and the stars at night

Up again in the morning bright

With nothing but road and sky in sight

And nothing to do but go...

—old hobo poem

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

This little device could save your life...

Not too long ago, my nephew made the national news. His story made the "good news" sections of some of the papers (like the Huffington Post), but it could just as easily have been in the bad news section if things had gone a bit differently. This video tells the story:




Ron's a diver and very conscious of safety and always carries a PLB (personal locator beacon), but the day of his near-disaster, the batteries were dead. It was an error that nearly cost him his life. Fortunately, Ron's been interested in lasers since he was a kid and once even had his own laser light show, so for him to carry one in his pocket was normal for him, but not for most people. That laser saved his life, but a PLB would've been a much quicker rescue.


PLBs are much cheaper than they used to be, and IMO, anyone who is ever out of cell phone range should carry one. If you go online and read about the lives saved and the situations they were in, you'll soon realize that you don't have to be extreme to warrent buying one. All it takes is one mistake in a location where you're out of cell range.

The purchase is a one-time deal, as there's no subscription service necessary. When you need help, you simply push a button and your GPS location is broadcast to a number of satellites that are tied into search and rescue receivers. The device costs less than $300 and the only additional cost is sending it in for a new battery about every five or six years for around $150.

This link tells you more, and this link shows the one I have. I'm hoping I never need it, but if I do, it will be well worth the price.

13 comments:

  1. I think that would be a very wise thing for Kelly & I to carry in the Jeep with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been thinking about getting one of these for awhile now. Guess we should stop thinking and just do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you guys are perfect candidates for one...

      Delete
  3. I agree with you 100% on carrying the beacon. Anyone who explores off the beaten path, particularly alone, would be wise to carry one. Hopefully, none of us will ever need to use one but it is there if we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you guys have one - I think you're good candidates, the way you get out in the backcountry.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we've been carrying one for a while. We replaced our Spot which I never cared for but at the time the personal beacon seemed too expensive. That's no longer the case. See you out there.

      Delete
    3. I figured you guys had one. I've heard lots of bad news about Spot not being that reliable.

      Impatiently waiting for April... :)

      Delete
  4. This is very helpful info. As a solo hiker, often in remote locations with no cell service (also sailor and diver) I have wanted one of these devices for many years, but they have always been cost prohibitive. I am happy to see they have come down in price. Thanks for the very informative post! (Good for your nephew, diving with a safety reel and signaling device!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne - don't wait - get one. (I have no financial interest in this - LOL - wish I did.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so much 'stuff' but nothing as necessary as this - just ordered. If I ever need to use it I'll be sure to give you an "atta-boy" shout out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of a PLB--I think we'll add it to our 10 Essentials! SO happy your nephew is well & found! The outcome could've been so much different! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this idea a lot. I only knew about the Spot, and subscription services kinda bug me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, comments have been disabled because of spammers gone wild.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.